Why/How You Should Add Brussel Sprouts To Your Diet

 
I distinctly remember when I was young all my friends would talk about was the horrors of eating brussels sprouts. I had never experienced this because for a long time my mom held the very same opinion of the veggie. But recently I came home to her cooking something a little different than usual, some sprouts on the stove. I was totally caught off guard, and was immediately terrified after having flashbacks from childhood. However, I was surprised to find when I tried them they weren't bad at all, in fact I really enjoyed them. 

So I don't know how brussels sprouts got such a bad rap, but just for the record I'm a fairly picky eater, and if I liked them you prolly will too. After my not- so disgusting encounter with the sprouts I decided to do a little more research about their health benefits and what exactly it was that I was eating.  Here's the gist of it: 

1. Brussels are rich in a lot of things including: vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, manganese, fiber, and vitamin B6, just to name a few. 

2. Brussels are on the list of the worlds healthiest foods, you should eat around 5 cups a week to get the full health benefits of the veggie. 

3. (I'm a Genetics major and nerded out about this) Brussels Sprouts protect your DNA! Which ultimately means they can work to prevent diseases like cancer. If you are interested in the science behind click here . This website basically explains that the sprouts are key to providing the necessary compounds which allow the DNA in our white blood cells to remain stable.  


So I would say those are some pretty good reasons to keep on eating the sprouts....... 

Now that I have convinced you that brussels sprouts aren't the demon veggies we all remember as kids, I must add that the way that the brussels sprouts are prepared is KEY to the amount that you are going to enjoy them. If you eat raw brussels sprouts I promise that you will not like them, but my mom made them with a little butter and oil on the stove and they tasted perfect browned. 

That's a pretty simple way to prepare them, so I did a little research and came up with a few other recipes for you to try at home so you can meet that 5 cup per week goal ! 



 

Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts  

For the Recipe: 



2

 

OnePan Sausage, Brussel Sprouts, and Sweet Potatoe 

For the Recipe: 



 

Lemony Brussel Sprouts and Breadcrumb Spaghetti 

For the Recipe: 



 


Crispy BBQ Brussel Sprouts   

For the Recipe: 



 

Fall Brussels Sprouts Quinoa Salad  

For the Recipe: 





Happy Eating ! 


xx, 


Seff 


Comments